UK MaTRI Capabilities
Composites & Textiles
Our Composites and Textiles capability continues to expand into new areas. Some of the industrial processes MatRI have developed include:
- Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM) for 3D mouldings - latest developments include new 'Fibre-form' process for creating net-shape fibre distribution for complex components;
- Pultrusion - continuous high volume production technique (thermosets and thermoplastics) using longitudinal, warp knitted and multi-axial fibres for profiled shapes, including pipes;
- Filament Winding for closed 3D shapes - uses commingled fibres with thermoplastic coating which melts on heating to consolidate structure;
- Autoclaving - uses high performance textiles and structural resins to produce components for the aerospace and F1 industries;
- Compression Moulding - uses randomly oriented fibre arrays to reinforce engineering plastic structures in high volume applications such as in the automotive sector.
Fibres used in these processes include carbon, glass-fibre, aramid, polypropylene and PET, though the latest breakthroughs utilise textiles based on fluoropolymers, basalt and even metallic fibres, in particular recent developments in shape-memory-alloys. Our product development work means we have a wealth of experience with all kinds of textiles, including woven and knitted fabrics as well as random fibre mats and non-wovens.
These have been combined with thermoplastics, reaction moulded polyurethane, thermosetting resins as well as the latest biodegradable and recyclable polymeric matrices.
Our composites team also boasts core competencies in the following:
- Novel heating technologies - for a range of processing techniques
- Aerospace, medical, fuel cell and automotive component design
- UV curing adhesives, resins, fillers
- Recycling technologies - traditional (cradle to grave) and supercritical fluid techniques
- Preforming technologies for reducing manufacturing waste
- Cure monitoring for control of thermoset and thermoplastic manufacturing process
Polymer Science & Processing (Including BioPolymers)
Our polymer capability spans both product and process development, with our core skills focussed on the development and improvement of polymer processing techniques, which can then be applied to enhancing the value of polymer based products. MatRI also conducts Research and development into biopolymer materials, processing methodologies and end-use application.
Mechanical Engineering & Design
Specialised technical support and applied engineering solutions which cover an exceptionally broad range of projects. Our skills enable us to develop solutions, from concepts, through technical analysis, design, prototype manufacture, and commissioning.
Specific services include: conceptual engineering & design, detailed design, computer aided engineering (CAE), design for manufacture (DFM), application of materials and manufacturing processes, development of advanced mechanical systems incorporating: pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanical drives, kinematics, integrated control systems (PLC, sensors etc...), precision engineering, prototype building, testing & commissioning.
Finite Element Analysis
Development of FEA models for evaluation, characterisation and development of mechanical structures including composite and metallic systems.
Evaluation of static and dynamic loading conditions, stress, fatigue, acoustic modal analysis
Computational Fluid Dynamics
External and internal fluid flow models. Development of models for optimisation of structures, systems and components considering turbulence, surface friction, thermal effects and thermal transfer.
Design and development of microwave systems for material characterisation and processing.
Radio Frequency Technologies
Concept development, RF modelling, prototype system design, prototype fabrication, model validation, system evaluation.
Acoustics & Vibration
Development of active vibration control systems to reduce acoustic transmission.
Panel modal analysis, transmission loss characterisation